For those who have the European version of the Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000), here is a simple guide to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) firmware. If you have the American release (SGH-I717), do yourself a favor and click here! For those who are still reading (N7000 users only!), let’s get to it!
Reminders and Precautions
- You will not be able to receive calls or multi-task, so get your important tasks out of the way before proceeding.
- If you stop the installation before it’s finished, then it will result in the loss of the data present on your device and there’s a chance that your device will become inoperable. This would suck, so don’t do it.
- You need to keep in mind that you should never remove the SD card from your device, especially during the installation process. In fact, don’t even look at the back of your phone.
- It’s strongly recommended that you create a backup of all the data present on your device before you start with the update process as this way at least you will be able to save your data in case of malfunction, lightening strike, or your pet decides to urinate on your phone.
- Have a stable internet connection.
- Make sure that your Note is fully charged.
- Step 1: The first thing that you need to do is download the official Samsung KIES program, which you will be using in this process. This application is near 87MB in size, and that’s why the download completion will depend on the connection that you have.
- Step 2: Install KIES on your PC. The installation process is simple, just double-click on the application and follow the instructions.
- Step 3: After the installation, connect your Samsung Galaxy Note to your computer and wait for it to be detected. The necessary drivers will be installed.
- Step 4: Now, KIES will automatically detect if an update package is available. You just need to click on Update if a package is available.
- Step 5: Once you have hit the Update button, another dialog box will appear, and it will tell you that what you are about to install is an Android ICS OS. Click Next in order to continue.
- Step 6: Some reminders will displayed, just need to check on ‘I have read all of the information’ checkbox and then select the ‘Allow saving’ option before you select the Start Update button.
- Step 7. The process will take around 30 minutes, and KIES will provide you with a notification when the process is completed
That’s it! Simple, wasn’t it? Below is a brief overview of what you’ve just added to your Samsung Galaxy Note.
What’s new on Ice Cream Sandwich
- Refined, evolved UI
- Home screen folders and favorites tray
- Resizable widgets
- New lock screen actions
- Quick responses for incoming calls
- Swipe to dismiss notifications, tasks, and browser tabs
- Improved text input and spell-checking
- Powerful voice input engine
- Control over network data
- Designed for accessibility
- People and profiles
- Unified calendar, visual voicemail
- Rich and versatile camera capabilities
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor
- Live Effects for transforming video
- Sharing with screenshots
- Powerful web browsing
- Improved email
- Android Beam for NFC-based sharing
- Face Unlock
- Wi-Fi Direct and Bluetooth HDP
- This tutorial is for the Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000) only! If you use it on any other make or model, your ice cream sandwich will melt…seriously, only use this tutorial for N7000.
- Atlanta Computer Dude is not responsible for malfunctions, crashes, the apocalypse, etc. In essence, do this at your own risk.